The Civil Service Commission shall consist of seven members, appointed by the Mayor and confirmed by the County Council, who shall be in sympathy with and who shall believe in the principles of the merit system in public employment, or the members appointed, one shall be selected from among persons employed in private industry in either skilled or unskilled laboring positions as distinguished from executive or professional positions.
The Civil Service Commission shall:
- Adopt rules and regulations to carry out the civil service and compensation laws of the State and County.
- Hear and determine appeals made by any officer or employee aggrieved by any action of the director or by any appointing authority.
- Advise the mayor and director of personnel services on problems concerning personnel and classification administration.
- Execute such powers and duties as may be provided by law.
- The Commission shall appoint and may remove the Director of Personnel.
- Cathy Adams, Chair
- John Low, Vice-chair
- Lani Aranio
- Gilbert Maerina
- Karen Matsumoto
- Roy Morita
Appeals or complaints directed to the Civil Service Commission may be sent to:
Civil Service Commission
c/o Office of Boards &Commissions
4444 Rice Street, Suite 150
Līhu'e, HI 96766
Phone: (808) 241-4919
Fax: (808) 241-5127