The Pay As You Throw (PAYT) variable rate for refuse collection service started on July 6, 2015. Refuse carts were delivered to new automated customers in April and May. Customers who requested 64 gallon carts had their carts switched out and the Solid Waste Division staff is in the process of retrieving old carts.
Your Refuse collection day may have changed under the new program that started in July. Enter your street name on the Refuse Collection Day Lookup page to confirm refuse collection day in your area.
Households new to automated pickup received brochures with the delivery of their new County-issued collection cart. These brochures contain information on the collection and instructions for use. Please click on the following links to view the brochures:
For more information on automated refuse pickup and the County's refuse collection program, please call (808) 241-4091.
Pursuant to the Kauai County Code, Chapter 21, the rules regarding proper use of refuse carts are as follows:
- Carts should be put out for collection the night before their pickup day.
- The cart lid must be in the fully closed position prior to pickup.
- Carts should be placed at least 5 feet away from any object(s) such as mailboxes, fences, poles, and fire hydrants, with at least 16 feet of clearance above the cart from wires or trees. The carts must be placed with the handle away from the street.
- Only dry trash should be placed in refuse carts.
- Items with liquids should be drained prior to placing in refuse carts.
- All trash must be bagged prior to being placed in refuse carts to prevent windblown litter.
- Only trash contained inside the refuse cart will be picked up.
- Trash should only be placed in your assigned refuse cart, and not in someone else's cart.
- Carts should be removed from the street as soon as possible after the collection is completed.
Call the County Recycling Office at 241-4841 for a FREE composting bin. Reduce the amount of waste sent to the landfill and REYCLE! Visit http://www.kauai.gov/recycling for bin locations and more information.