Building Permit Application
New Building Permit Applications may now be accepted via email by filling out the form below and submitting to email@example.com
Building Permit Application(PDF, 320KB)
Contractor/Owner Builder Statement(PDF, 293KB)
Application for Formal Plan Revisions(DOC, 258KB)
Agricultural Building Exemption Form(DOC, 154KB)
Request For Information(PDF, 127KB)
IECC Block Building Envelope Components(PDF, 278KB)
IECC Block Low-Rise Residential(PDF, 279KB)
IECC Block Electrical and Lighting Systems(PDF, 354KB)
IECC Block Mechanical Systems(PDF, 339KB)
Building Valuation Policy(PDF, 473KB)
Building Permits Minimum Requirements(PDF, 594KB)
Building Permits Minimum Requirements (Appendix A)(PDF, 3MB)
EPR Applicant User Guide(PDF, 9MB)
Kauai County Sign Ordinance Summary(PDF, 42KB)
Owner-Builders in Hawaii: A Guide to State Regulations(PDF, 14KB)
Building Division Codes
The County of Kaua'i started enforcement of the following codes pursuant to Hawai'i Revised Statutes, Section 107-28, and is blended with the 2006 IBC and 2006 IRC amendments as adopted by the County of Kaua'i.
2018 International Building Code April 20, 2023
2018 International Residential Code November 17, 2022
2018 International Existing Building Code November 17, 2022
2018 International Energy Conservation Code December 15, 2022
Kaua'i County Ordinances
Hawai'i State Building Code Council
TWO WAYS TO REQUEST INSPECTION
Your name, job site address, telephone number, permit number and inspection date are needed with your request. Submit your inspection request at least one or two days in advance and “CC” the supervisor when requesting inspection via email.
Kauai Online Hazard Assessment Tool
Geographic Information System (GIS)
FHAT - State of Hawaii Flood Hazard Assessment Tool is now online. Click here to access the FHAT tool
Public Works - Building Division Information
The Division of Buildings is responsible for facility development and code development and enforcement. All programs are responsible for providing the people of Kauai with safely constructed public and private facilities.
- To develop new facilities to replace old, dilapidated, overcrowded buildings and structures.
- To ensure that the minimum construction standards contained within the Kauai County Codes, and referenced building trade codes, are adhered to.
- Continually update the Kauai County Code to meet current building industry codes, which reflect the latest industry standards, and changing technologies.
- Provide effective training and adequate staffing to increase the efficiency of services to the public in the review, issuance, and enforcement of building, electrical, plumbing, and sign permits.
- Provide necessary services in the preparation, and management of construction contracts.
- Administration - The Building Division's Administrative Section manages facility development and construction. The Section also oversees the operation of the Building Codes Enforcement Section.
- Building Code Enforcement Section - The Building Code Enforcement Section is responsible for the review of projects to ensure compliance and enforcement, of the all applicable building trade codes and ordinances, related to building construction. as the central coordination agency in the building permitting process, the program is responsible for the circulation and consolidation of comments from County, State, and Federal agencies, prior to permit approval. The program is also responsible for building, electrical, plumbing, and sign code enforcement inspection, as part of the permitting process.
County of Kauai - Department of Public Works
4444 Rice Street, Suite 175
Lihue, Hawaii 96766-1340