Sept. 18 Statement from Chief Todd Raybuck re. Chris Santos

Published on September 18, 2023

KPD logo 2.jpg

"Aloha. I am Kaua‘i Chief of Police Todd Raybuck.

"I would like to take a moment to provide the community with some preliminary information related to the arrest of homicide suspect Chris Santos.

"Earlier today, we announced that Chris Santos, who has been wanted for murder since Friday, September 8th was taken into custody after an officer-involved shooting involving federal law enforcement on Sunday, Sept. 17th.

"Law enforcement officers were actively searching for Mr. Santos to affect an arrest warrant in connection to the fatal shooting of 28-year-old Kith Silva-Lacro of Kalāheo that occurred on Thursday, Sept. 7, on Kahili Mountain Road. A second victim involved in the incident received medical attention and was released from the hospital.

"Over the last nine days, the Kauaʻi Police Department, United States Marshals Service, and the Federal Bureau of Investigation were engaged in an on-going collaborative operation to locate and safely apprehend Mr. Santos.

"Capturing Santos was the first step in providing justice for Kith, the second shooting victim, and their families.

"At approximately 10:20 p.m., on Sunday, Sept. 17th, officers located Mr. Santos operating a motor vehicle in the vicinity of the Kekaha Beach Park, approximately one-quarter mile west of the Akialoa Road and Kaumuali‘i Highway junction.

"Unfortunately, despite several efforts to encourage Mr. Santos to peacefully surrender to police, his actions during contact with law enforcement officers resulted in an officer-involved shooting. No law enforcement personnel were injured during the encounter.

"Mr. Santos was transported to Wilcox Hospital for treatment, where he currently remains in stable condition and is in the custody of the Kauaʻi Police Department.

"Mr. Santos has been charged with Attempted Murder in the First Degree, Murder in the Second Degree, and other felony charges related to this event.

"The apprehension of Mr. Santos ends a 9-day, multi-agency manhunt.

"I’d like to take this opportunity to thank the public for their vigilance while law enforcement searched tirelessly for Mr. Santos across our island.

"The investigation of this incident remains active and ongoing. We will continue to pursue those individuals who aided Santos evade capture during the past nine days.

"A joint press conference to provide additional details will be held at 930 am on September 19th at the Kauaʻi Police Department for members of the media.

"Mahalo to all the dedicated law enforcement officers and professional support staff that dedicated many long hours to bring this dangerous fugitive into custody for the safety of our island and our community."

***Link to the full video statement for download: Chief Raybuck Statement



Tagged as: