Permanently Junking a Vehicle

You may permanently junk a vehicle which you no longer want regardless of whether or not the registration is current or expired. When you permanently junk your vehicle, you are declaring that the vehicle will never be registered again. Remember, you are responsible for the proper disposal of the junked vehicle in accordance with State of Hawaii Laws.

To permanently junk your vehicle, you must:

Step 2.Fill-out the appropriate spaces of the last issued Certificate of Title:

  • Fill-in the odometer reading in the spaces provided.
  • The registered owners must complete section “A” on the front of the title.
  • The lien holder must complete section “B” of the reverse side of the title.

Step 3.Submit the completed Statements of FactRelating to Junking of Vehicles(PDF, 113KB), properly endorsed Certificate of Title, the last issued Certificate of Registration and the vehicle license plates to the County of Kauai Division of Motor Vehicles & Licensing.

Important Notice: If there is a possibility that you may want to register it again in the future, do not permanently junk your vehicle. Instead you should consider placing your vehicle in official " storage" status just in case you want to register your vehicle again in the future.

Regarding Taxes and Back Taxes

To junk the vehicle, we do not collect any taxes or back taxes. It is junked as is. (It must be the Registered Owner(s))


They will need to complete Indemnity Agreement(PDF, 190KB) and provide the required photos. Customers can take the vehicle directly to the Resource Recovery Solutions with the paperwork or they can call a towing company and pay the respective fees for towing and give the towing company the paperwork for junking.

For more information: Vehicle Disposal.