The Board of Review was established in 1987 by the Kauai County Code, Chapter 5A.
The Board of Review hears Real Property Tax appeals. When you file an appeal, you must state the basis for your appeal as the law specifies four grounds for appeal:
- The assessed value of the property exceeds by more than fifteen percent (15%) the ratio assessment to market value;
- There is inequity or lack of uniformity resulting from the use of illegal assessment methods or an error in the application of the methods;
- You have been denied an exemption to which you are entitled for which all requirements are met; and
- The assessment methods are unconstitutional or in violation of state laws or county ordinances.
- Use Tax Classification: Owner believes the property should be classified as __________________________
The cost to file an appeal is $75 for each parcel for each year appealed. You may obtain the Board of Review form (Form P-51) from:
Real Property Assessment
Piikoi Building 4444 Rice Street, Suite 300
Lihue, HI 96766 -OR-
Connect.Kauai.gov (open in Google Chrome)
The Kauai County Board of Review
Attention! Board of Review Meetings will be conducted by teleconference due to COVID-19 concerns. The public will be able to listen to the meeting audio and offer public comment by calling the phone number and entering the conference code ID listed on meeting agendas.
Meeting Time/Location: Meet as needed