Residents Recycle Household Batteries Year-Round at Kauaʻi Resource Center
Open Monday through Friday 8:00 am to 4:15 pm(closed weekends and all State Holidays).
The following battery types are accepted under this program:
|Alkaline (Dry Cell)
Batteries are separated into three categories described below. Please place batteries in the appropriate barrel. Terminals of batteries 9 volt and higher must be taped prior to recycling. Please place duct or electrical tape on 9 volt terminals. Tape provided at Kaua'i Resource Center. Thank you for your cooperation.
Alkaline (Dry Cell): Non-rechargeable batteries such as those used for household devices includes A, AA, AAA, C, D, DD, 6 and 9 volt batteries. 9 volt batteries or higher please place duct tape on terminals prior to recycling.
NiCad/NiMH: Typically rechargeable and many different types. Common uses are for cameras, rechargeable appliances, (portable power tools) and hand held vacuums.
Lithium: Common uses are for cameras, calculators, watches, computers and cell phones.
Batteries accepted year-round at the Kaua'i Resource Center 3460 Ahukini Rd in Līhu'e (near the airport and fronting the Līhu'e Transfer Station). Battery collection Monday through Friday from 7:45 am to 4:15 pm; closed on weekends and all State holidays. The collection barrels are located inside the main building. Program is for residents only. No Lead-acid, UPS or APC batteries. Businesses are prohibited.
For a list of haulers that manage batteries, visit the state website at:
Haulers and Recyclers List (hawaii.gov)
Please take Lead Acid Batteries (Vehicle, Auto) to one of the following:
- Costco 4300 Nuhou St, Līhu'e (808) 241-4000. Pays out for those purchased on-site.
- E-H International* 1780 Haleukana St (808) 652-8486. Due to fluctuating commodity prices, please call if you need the current price per pound.
- Napa Auto Parts 4404 Rice St Līhu'e (808) 245-9561. Pays out for those purchased in store.
- Napa Auto Parts 2-2495 Kaumualii Hwy Kalaheo (808) 332-8532. Pays out for those purchased in store.
- Napa Auto Parts 980 Kipuni Way Kapa'a (808) 823-6211. Pays out for those purchased in store.
- O'Reilly Auto Parts 4428 Kukui Grove St. Lihue (808) 245-8807. Store credit, $5 per battery.
- PS&D Tires* 4004 Rice St, Līhu'e (808) 245-9502. Pays out for those purchased in store.
- Puhi Metals 3951 Puhi Road Lihu'e (808) 245-6919.
- County of Kaua'i's Household Hazardous Waste (HHW) collection event residents only.
*Accepts industrial and forklift batteries.
Loose UPC and APC batteries are not accepted at Puhi Metals for eWaste Recycling. Batteries must be housed in the original unit. Loose batteries can be dropped off at any Napa or at EH international.
Home Depot 4320 Nuhou St Lihue (808) 632-2740 accepts rechargeable NiCad or Lithium batteries used in power tools. See front entrance of store for collection box.
Why recycle batteries?
Batteries are made from base metals, plastics and toxic heavy metals; including lead, cadmium, zinc, lithium and mercury. Recycled batteries will be taken apart and many of the materials will be recovered and used to make new batteries or something else. If you throw your batteries into the trash they will be taken to landfill, and the resources will be lost.
Recycling batteries is good for the environment. It keeps them out of landfill, where toxic heavy metals may leach into the ground (when the battery casing corrodes), potentially causing soil and water pollution.