Effective December 2, 2020, all travelers arriving on Kaua‘i are subject to a 14-day self-quarantine regardless of testing. All travelers will receive a temperature screening upon arrival.
Effective October 15, 2020, travelers from the United States, including other islands in Hawai‘i, may receive an exemption to the 14-day quarantine through the State of Hawai‘i Safe Travels program. Travelers must complete a COVID-19 test with a Trusted Partner lab approved by the state no more than 72 hours before your flight departure time.
Effective November 24, 2020, all transpacific travelers must have a negative test result from a Trusted Partner lab accepted by the Safe Travels program before their departure for the State of Hawai‘i, in order to bypass the 14-day quarantine. Transpacific travelers heading to Hawai‘i must upload their negative test result to the Safe Travels system prior to departure or, as an alternative to uploading the form, present a hard copy of their negative test result to be verified by government officials upon arrival in the islands. The State of Hawai‘i highly recommends that all transpacific travelers bring the hard copy of their negative test result as a backup, even if they upload their negative test result to the Safe Travels system. Transpacific travelers who do not have a negative test result prior to departing for Hawai‘i, must self-quarantine for 14 days or the length of their stay, whichever is shorter, without exception.
For more information and to apply, please visit: https://hawaiicovid19.com/travel/
- The State of Hawaiʻi will accept test results ONLY from its Trusted Partners at this time. A list of those partners can be found at https://hawaiicovid19.com/travel-partners/. Test results from other labs will NOT be accepted.
- A 14-day mandatory quarantine will be required for all travelers arriving WITHOUT a confirmed negative COVID-19 test approved by the Safe Travels program.
- Travelers will NOT be able to obtain a test and quarantine exemption after they have arrived on Kaua‘i.
All travelers are required to fill out the mandatory Safe Travels digital form. The digital form can be found at https://travel.hawaii.gov.
- If you need assistance with login or technical issues, call the Safe Travels Program: 1-800-GOHAWAII or (1-800-464-2924).
If you arrive on Kaua‘i without valid proof of a negative COVID-19 NAAT from a Trusted Partner lab accepted by the Safe Travels program you will be subject to the State of Hawai‘i’s strict 14-day mandatory self-quarantine requirement.
Those in quarantine will need to adhere to the following guidelines:
- Under self-quarantine, you will not be allowed to leave the room at your place of lodging under any circumstances, except for a medical emergency or to depart the state.
- Travelers subject to the quarantine are prohibited from renting a vehicle or staying in a short-term rental or vacation rental until completion of the quarantine period, so please plan ahead.
- Travelers who violate the terms of the 14-day mandatory self-quarantine will be prosecuted and may face fines of up to $5,000 and one year in prison.
- Travelers subject to the quarantine will also be required to fill out the Kaua‘i Arrival Form upon arrival. This form will be provided at the Lihue Airport and the submitted information will be used by law enforcement to conduct quarantine compliance checks.
Transpacific travelers who complete the Safe Travels program and receive a quarantine exemption are urged to Rest, Test, and Enjoy! Please take a voluntary second test three days after arrival to help keep our community safe. Until then, please wear a mask, wash your hands, and avoid community contact.
- As a mahalo to visitors who choose to pay for and take the second test, they will receive a $150 certificate from a participating Kauai business. Offerings will be assessed and adjusted as the program continues. For more information, go to kauaiforward.com/travel/#RestTestEnjoy.
- Beginning Monday, October 19, American Medical Response will be accepting walk-ins for visitor post-arrival testing. Cost for the test will be at the individual's expense.
- By appointment only, in-room/hotel rapid (15 minute) visitor post-arrival testing can be obtained through Poipu Mobile MD. Cost for the test will be at the individual's expense.
- For more information, please visit the Visitor Post-Arrival Testing page.
Kaua‘i has instituted a tier system of safety restrictions based on the number of COVID-19 cases on the island average over the past week. Visitors are encouraged to check the current case count and current tier level before traveling.