Class A, B, C Permits
To apply for an A, B or C Instruction Permit, the applicant must present original or certified copies from our REAL ID Compliant Document List to prove the following:
1. Proof of Legal Name - If your current name is different from the name shown on any document (examples: due to marriage, divorce, adoption, name change, naturalization certificate), you are required to provide "connecting documents" to establish the link between the names.
2. Provide proof of Legal Presence.
3. Provide proof of Principal Residence.
4. Complete a Commercial Driver’s License Application that is also available at our Kauai DMV.
5. Be 19 Years of Age or Older. Note: applicant’s must be 21 years or older to apply and test for a CDL road test.
6. Possess a Valid Class 3 Hawaii Driver’s License.
7. Submit a completed Department of Transportation (DOT) Medical Certification.
8. Pass required knowledge tests, please refer to the Commercial Driver’s License Manual.
9. Pass the required vision test. 9. Submit proof of Hawaii Residency.
10. Payment of the appropriate fees. Refer to the Kauai County Fee Chart.