Registration records of all vehicles/motorcycles/trailers in Hawaii must be updated annually.
Annual fees are defined by HRS 249 and are based on the vehicle weight and usage. They are computed by the Treasury Division, Motor Vehicle Section.
Vehicle Location Certificate(PDF, 38KB) - Section 249-2, Hawaii Revised Statutes, require that the registration taxes and fees be paid by the owner of each vehicle in the county in which the vehicle is physically located at the time of registration.
Deadline for registering vehicles is the last working day of the expiration month of the current registration. However, if the registration expiration date occurs on a Saturday, Sunday or legal holiday, the delinquent renewal penalty fee will not be charged until after the next working day. (HRS 249)
Penalty will be assessed if fees are not paid on or before the expiration date. The penalty shall be 20% of the County Weight Tax and 20% of the State Weight Tax. (HRS 249)
Paying by mail or in person, the following payment types are accepted:
- Cash or check (drawn in U.S. funds), money order, or cashier's check (made out to "Director of Finance").
There is a $30.00 service fee for returned checks.
- Credit or debit cards are accepted only for online renewals and kiosk renewals.
- Proof of Hawaii motor vehicle insurance is required to obtain a Periodic Motor Vehicle Inspection (PMVI)
- Periodic Motor Vehicle Inspection (PMVI) sticker and certificate is necessary to operate a vehicle on all Hawaii roads and for all vehicle ownership-registration transactions. Safety Inspection Information
- For vehicles GVWR 10,000 lbs. and over please go to State of Hawaii, HDOT , MVSO site HIdot/motor-vehicle-safety-office
Non-resident active duty military personnel must submit a properly completed Non-Resident Certificate, Form DF-L(MVR) 50 and safety inspection for each registration, renewal or transfer transaction.
*Form DF-L(MVR) 50 is available from your military personnel office or your military unit.
Mopeds: $27.50 flat registration fee and safety check with your renewal notice or current registration