Non-Resident Military

Members of the United States Armed Forces on active duty stationed at a military installation in Hawaii and who are residents of another state are exempt from payment of Hawaii's motor vehicle weight taxes.

Individuals who are members of a reserve component on temporary active duty do not qualify for this exemption.

If you qualify and want to be exempt from the tax, submit a completed Non-Resident Certificate(PDF, 103KB).

A completed form is required each time you apply for the following:

Step 1.Renewal of a County of Kauai registration.

Step 2.Kauai registration of a vehicle previously registered in another state or county.

Step 3.Kauai registration of a newly purchased vehicle.

Step 4.Transfer of ownership of a previously Hawaii registered vehicle.

Should you leave active duty, change your residency to Hawaii or are stationed out of the State of Hawaii but your vehicle remains in Hawaii, you are no longer exempt from Hawaii's motor vehicle weight tax. To avoid a penalty for delinquent registration, re-register your vehicle within 30 days of the effective date of your change in status.

The amount of the registration fees will be determined by our Customer Service Representative.