Liquor Department FAQs

What happens to a minor who is caught with alcoholic beverages?

Under 18 -- family court. Ages 18, 19, & 20 -- guilty of petty misdemeanor: not more than 30 days in jail and/or $1,000 fine.

What happens to a minor who is found to be using a fake ID?

Not more than 30 days in jail and/or $1,000 fine.

What happens to the parent of a minor who is caught violation the liquor laws?

Must pick up minor from police station after arrest, must accompany minor to family court, is responsible for minor fulfilling requirements of sentencing.

What happens to someone who sells or serves liquor to a minor?

Guilty of misdemeanor: 1 year in jail and/or $2,000 fine.

What are the most frequently issued liquor law citations?

Persons under the age of 21 in possession of alcoholic beverages in a public place; Open container of alcoholic beverage in a motor vehicle on a public highway; Persons under the age of 21 attempting to purchase alcoholic beverages.

What does the law consider a public place?

All State and County parks, shopping center parking lots, neighborhood centers, beach parks, are areas considered to be public places.

How does the law define possession in relation to alcoholic beverages?

The law says a person is in possession of an alcoholic beverage if the person is physically holding the beverage or if the beverage is in something the person is in control of, such as a backpack, purse, jacket, or car that the individual is operating.

Who enforces the State liquor laws?

Liquor laws are enforced by: Police Officers, Liquor Department Investigators, Marine Patrol Officers, DLNR Wildlife Enforcement Officers, and State Sheriffs.

How do I obtain a liquor license?

Please refer to the "Instructions For Filing License Applications" section on the Liquor Control Forms and Applications page.

How long before I can get my liquor license?

The application process takes approximately 2 1/2 to 3 months. After all necessary documents are received, an investigation on the application is conducted and an Investigator's Report is submitted to the Liquor Commission. Upon review of the report, the Commission decides to accept or refuse the application. The Commission may hold a preliminary hearing, and upon such preliminary hearing, may deny the application. For applications accepted by the Commission, notices of public hearing are published in the local newspaper notifying the public of the date and time of the scheduled public hearing on the application. The Liquor Commission may, at its discretion, grant or refuse the application for liquor license.

Do I need a Red/Blue Card in order to serve/sell alcohol?

No. An employee is not required to possess a Red/Blue Manager Card in order to serve/sell alcohol. However, a Red/Blue card holder, who has been duly registered with the Department as a manager, must be present and in active charge of the premises.

How old do I need to be to get a Red/Blue card?

You must be at least 21 years of age.

Do I need to make an appointment to take the Red/Blue Card exam?

Yes. You can schedule your appointment online by clicking on the "Schedule Online" button on the Liquor Control home page.

What do I need when I register for the Red/Blue Card exam?

A valid picture ID is required to register for the exam. The following forms of identification are acceptable:

  • Driver's License
  • State ID
  • Military ID
  • Passport

You will also need to complete a Notice of Employment form. The form can be found on the "Forms" tab of our website.

How much does it cost to get a Red/Blue Card?

Exam Fee is $10.00.

The initial cost for a Red/Blue Card is $10.00.

Replacement of a Red/Blue Card is $10.00.

How old do you have to be to purchase alcoholic beverages?

21 years or older

Do you offer a class prior to the Red/Blue Card exam, and is there a study guide available?

No, we do not offer a class prior to the exam. A study guide is available, however, it is only intended as a guide. You must be familiar with the Rules & Regulations of the Liquor Control Commission of the County of Kauai, as well as the Liquor Laws of the State of Hawaii. Electronic versions of these documents can be found on the Liquor Control home page, and hard copies are available for purchase at the Department of Liquor Control.