Dear Landfill Customers: The landfill billing cycle that ran from 9/26 to 10/25 has been delayed. Please call (808) 241-4336 with questions
Kekaha Landfill located at 6900 Kaumuali'i Highway # A, Kekaha, HI 96752 services the disposal of residential and commercial refuse. Bulky items such as mattresses and furniture can only be disposed at the Kekaha Landfill or the Lihue Transfer Station.
Landfill Operating Hours:
8:00am - 3:30pm for commercial loads
8:00am - 4:00pm for residential loads
Closed for lunch from 12:00pm to 12:30pm.
Facility Management (808) 337-1416
Scale House (808) 337-9213
There is no charge for residents to use the landfill
NEW ASBESTOS RULES
Kekaha landfill accounts:
You can now pay your landfill bill online by credit card or e-check. A service fee of $2.50 plus a credit card payment processing fee of 2.2% or a $1.00 e-check fee will be added to each bill payment.
Credit card and e-check payments MUST be made online.
Cash and check payments are accepted by mail or submitted through the drop box located outside of the Motor Vehicle Division (Kapule Building), on the right-hand side in a sealed envelope addressed to the SOLID WASTE DIVISION.
Notice to Commercial Customers at Kekaha Landfill
Operational Changes Effective 10/13/2021
- The last commercial load will be accepted at 3:30 PM daily. This time has been pushed back in recognition of the needs of commercial haulers. Any loads that come in after that time will be rejected.
- The landfill will be closed on all County holidays. Previously, the landfill had been open limited hours on holidays which fell on Mondays through Thursdays. However, the amount of waste accepted on the holidays did not justify the overtime expended.
Please contact the Solid Waste Office at 808-241-4841 if you have any questions or comments.
A Landfill Tipping Fee account must be established prior to dumping commercial loads. The application can be downloaded below. Once completed, applications can be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org or faxed to the County of Kauaʻi Solid Waste Office at (808) 241-6887.
The landfill tipping account’s billing cycle starts from the 26th of the month to the 25th of the next month. Bills are normally mailed out the following day after the bill cycle ends. When hauling for another company with an existing landfill tipping account, a 3rd Party Billing form must be submitted prior or on the 25th of the month to ensure proper application of charges.
Questions regarding the application process please call County of Kauaʻi Solid Waste Office (808) 241-4091 or 241-4840.
For delivery of asbestos-containing materials or other waste that requires special handling see "Special Waste" below.
Have driver's license and vehicle registration ready upon entering the landfill. Drivers please follow the landfill safety rules see below.
Tipping fee coupons are redeemable at the refuse transfer stations only. For more information on tipping fee coupons please visit our Refuse Transfer Stations web page.
Current Rates (Dollars per Ton)
- Municipal Solid Waste & Greenwaste - $119
- Asbestos-containing materials - $218
- Dead animals - $119
- Minimum Fee for any load of Municipal Solid Waste and dead animals - $21
- Minimum Fee for any load of asbestos-containing materials - $218
Asbestos-containing materials or other waste that requires special handling see "Special Waste" below.
Section 21-7.3 of the Kaua'i County Code Prohibits certain material for the Kekaha Landfill- Please see Notice to Haulers(PDF, 578KB) for more information.
Special Waste is defined in the Solid Waste Management Permit No. LF-0042-16 for the Kekaha Municipal Solid Waste Landfill and means any solid waste which, because of its source or physical, chemical, or biological characteristics, requires special consideration for its proper processing or disposal, or both, and includes, but is not limited to: asbestos; semi-solid wastes including dewatered car and equipment wash wastes, sewage sludges; underground storage tank and other sludges; off-specification and outdated products baghouse dusts; inorganic filter cakes; treated infectious waste; and dead animals and offal.
Special Waste also includes contaminated materials such as: contaminated soils and debris, including: resins and chemical debris; petroleum and other contaminated soils; and petroleum fuels (i.e., used oil, diesel, jet fuel, gasoline) and debris, sandblast grits, waste that are toxic in nature, such as insecticides, poisons, or radioactive materials (provided that they are not regulated under another authority such as RCRA Subtitle C, TSCA that requires disposal other than at a permitted MSW landfill), and other solid waste, which may be accepted for disposal such as contaminated industrial/commercial waste and non-TSCA regulated PCB waste, provided such materials are not regulated hazardous waste.
The landfill also explicitly prohibits disposal of fresh or frozen uncooked shrimp and other crustaceans.
Acceptance of Special Waste
Please call (808) 337-1416 for guidance on Special Waste. Customers must complete and return a Special Waste Profile that will be reviewed and approved prior to disposal. Please download and complete the form before sending it to email@example.com. FORM- Special Waste Profile(PDF, 304KB) (after downloading to your PC you will have the option of digitally signing or printing for physical signature).
ASBESTOS DISPOSAL AT KEKAHA LANDFILL
- By pre-scheduled appointment, Asbestos Containing Materials (ACM) disposal deliveries may be accepted on Tuesdays and Thursdays. Only ACM waste generated on the island of Kaua‘i may be accepted.
- Appointments shall be made by calling the landfill 24-hours in advance of a planned delivery and will be on a first come first-served basis.
- The number of ACM loads intended for delivery, up to two (2) loads, shall be declared at the time the appointment is made.
- The Landfill will accept a maximum of two (2) ACM loads per day. (Example: if a single entity schedules an appointment to deliver two (2) ACM loads, no more appointments would be scheduled for that day).
- Appointments are not transferrable.
- Each ACM load shall not exceed twenty (20) cubic yards.
- All ACM loads shall be double wrapped in plastic of at least 6 mill thickness prior to arrival at the landfill.
- All deliveries shall be accompanied by a certified/licensed asbestos contractor and the appropriate waste manifest. Hauler and asbestos contractor shall stop at the landfill office for a document/manifest and hauler inspection. Loads may be rejected if one or more of the following standards is/are not adhered to:
- Manifests shall be properly completed,
- ACM shall be properly bagged,
- The asbestos contractor shall have sufficient supplies to immediately re-wrap any loads where the bags have been torn or have ruptured. Contractor shall not be permitted proceed to the unloading area unless fully compliant with this provision (Emphasis Added)
- Once cleared to proceed the hauler accompanied by asbestos contractor, shall transport and unload the ACM in the area designated by the County. Hauler shall abide by directions of the landfill staff.
- The asbestos contractor shall be solely responsible for any necessary re-wrapping of the ACM load and shall remain onsite until landfill management gives clearance for the unloaded ACM.
- Kekaha landfill staff will not handle, relocate, or repair any improperly packaged, torn, or ruptured bagging materials.
Please contact the Kekaha Landfill at (808) 337-1416 to schedule appointments.
HOW TO MANAGE PROHIBITED MATERIALS
Cardboard and other business recycling
Metal, Appliances and Motor Vehicles
Toxic and Hazardous Waste: This type of waste is regulated by the State Department of Health Hazardous Waste Branch. For information on regulatory matters, contact them at 808-586-4226.
Residents Hazardous Waste
For all other info see Recycling
Safety Rules for Kekaha Sanitary Landfill While on landfill property, you must follow these safety rules:
- Seat belts must be worn while driving on the Kekaha Sanitary Landfill property.
- The SPEED LIMIT on the landfill is 15 mph.
- Please follow the landfill signs directing you to the offloading area. This location changes day to day. Residents must offload at the material drop off facility.
- Scavenging is strictly prohibited.
- Always wait for the spotter to instruct you where to dump your load. If there is no spotter, the bulldozer operator will provide instructions to you.
- Operators must maintain a safe distance between vehicles while in the offloading area. This means 15 feet between non-tipping vehicles and 1.5 times the length of the trailer or bed for tipping vehicles.
- While in the offloading area, a high visibility safety vest/shirt and safety boots must be worn by all government and commercial drivers anytime you get out of your vehicle and hard hats are recommended. Homeowners are exempt from this requirement.
- While in the offloading area, only the driver may get out of the truck. While out of the truck, you must remain within 6 feet of your vehicle.
- Failure to follow any of the above safety rules may result in you being prohibited from entering the site in the future.
Any questions please proceed to the Waste Management Office or call (808) 337-1416
Downloadable PDF Flyers on the following webpages:
Call Recycling Office at (808) 241-4841 or visit recycling for additional commercial recycling options.