Special Waste is defined in the Solid Waste Management Permit No. LF-0042-16 for the Kekaha Municipal Solid Waste Landfill and means any solid waste which, because of its source or physical, chemical, or biological characteristics, requires special consideration for its proper processing or disposal, or both, and includes, but is not limited to: asbestos; semi-solid wastes including dewatered car and equipment wash wastes, sewage sludges; underground storage tank and other sludges; off-specification and outdated products baghouse dusts; inorganic filter cakes; treated infectious waste; and dead animals and offal.
Special Waste also includes contaminated materials such as: contaminated soils and debris, including: resins and chemical debris; petroleum and other contaminated soils; and petroleum fuels (i.e., used oil, diesel, jet fuel, gasoline) and debris, sandblast grits, waste that are toxic in nature, such as insecticides, poisons, or radioactive materials (provided that they are not regulated under another authority such as RCRA Subtitle C, TSCA that requires disposal other than at a permitted MSW landfill), and other solid waste, which may be accepted for disposal such as contaminated industrial/commercial waste and non-TSCA regulated PCB waste, provided such materials are not regulated hazardous waste.
The landfill also explicitly prohibits disposal of fresh or frozen uncooked shrimp and other crustaceans.
Acceptance of Special Waste
Please call (808) 337-1416 for guidance on Special Waste. Customers must complete and return a Special Waste Profile that will be reviewed and approved prior to disposal. Please download and complete the form before sending it to email@example.com. FORM- Special Waste Profile (after downloading to your PC you will have the option of digitally signing or printing for physical signature).
GENERAL NOTICE TO ALL CONTRACTORS
RESUMPTION OF ASBESTOS DISPOSAL AT KEKAHA LANDFILL
The Kekaha Landfill has resumed operations to accept asbestos containing materials subject to the following conditions updated on October 1, 2020:
- Asbestos Containing Materials (ACM) will be accepted on Tuesdays and Thursdays by scheduled appointment only.
- Appointments shall be made by calling the landfill 24-hours in advance of a planned delivery, and will be on a first-come first-serve basis.
- The number of ACM loads intended for delivery, up to two (2) loads, shall be declared at the time the appointment is made.
- The Landfill will accept a maximum of two (2) ACM loads per day. (Example: if a single entity schedules an appointment to deliver two (2) ACM loads, no more appointments would be scheduled for that day).
- Appointments are not transferrable.
- Each ACM load shall not exceed twenty (20) cubic yards.
- At a minimum, all ACM shall be delivered double bagged in 55 gallon or smaller plastic
- bags of the appropriate thickness.
- All deliveries shall be accompanied by the appropriate waste manifest. Loads may be rejected if the manifests are not properly completed or if ACM are not properly prepared.
- ACM shall be unloaded in the area designated by the County.
- A certified/licensed asbestos contractor shall accompany the ACM delivery and shall remain onsite until landfill management gives clearance for the unloaded ACM.
- No loads of ACM generated off of the island of Kaua‘i will be accepted.
Please contact the Kekaha Landfill at (808) 337-1416 to schedule appointments.