Public Access, Open Space & Natural Resources Presv. Fund Commission
The Public Access, Open Spaces and Natural Resources Preservation Fund Commission recommends a biennial list of lands or other property entitlement to be acquired for conservation purposes. These purposes include public outdoor recreation and education, access to beaches and mountains; preservation of historic or culturally important land areas and sites; protection of significant habitats or ecosystems, including buffer zones; preserving forests, beaches, coastal areas, and agricultural lands; protecting watershed lands to preserve water quality and water supply; conserving land in order to reduce erosion, floods, landslides, and runoff; improving public access to, and enjoyment of, public land, and open space; acquiring public access to public land, and open space; conserving land for open space and scenic values; and improving public pedestrian access to coastal areas.
The Commission consists of nine members. Four members are appointed by the Mayor including individuals from the following areas: Waimea – Kekaha; Lihue – Hanamaulu; Kapaa – Wailua; and one at-large. Four members are appointed by the County Council including individuals from the following areas: Hanapepe – Eleele; Koloa – Poipu – Kalaheo; Anahola to Haena and one at-large. One member is appointed by the Commission. All members serve staggered three year terms.
For more information about the duties and responsibilities of the Commission, please refer to Kauai County Code, Section 6-14.2.
Meeting Time/Location: 1:00pm, Meeting Room 2A/2B, 2nd Thursday of each month
For more information on upcoming meetings, please refer to the calendar on the Boards and Commissions home page.
- Nancy Kanna, Chair
- Jonathan Lucas, Vice Chair
- Taryn Dizon
- Mark Ono
- Robin Pratt
- Mai Shintani
- William Kinney
- Vacant (Mayor: At-Large)
- Vacant (Hanapepe-Eleele)
Browse & search archived Open Space Commission documents, including agendas, meeting minutes, and more
Archived Reports, Presentations and more
- 2015 Report to the Kauai County Council and the Mayor(PDF, 15MB)
- 2014 Open Space Commission Annual Statis Report(PDF, 203KB)
- 2013 Report to County Council & Mayor(PDF, 5MB)
- 2012 Open Space Commission Annual Status Report(PDF, 140KB)
- 2011 Report to the County Council and Mayor(PDF, 5MB)
- 2010 Report to the County Council and Mayor(PDF, 8MB)
- 2009 Report to County Council & Mayor(PDF, 4MB)
- 2007 & 2008 Report to County Council & Mayor, pages 1-46(PDF, 4MB)
- 2007 & 2008 Report to County Council & Mayor, pages 47-94(PDF, 5MB)
- 2006 Report to County Council & Mayor(PDF, 3MB)
- 2005 Report to County Council(PDF, 7MB)
- August 14, 2014 Presentation by Tom Pierce(PDF, 7MB)
- 2007 Public Input Process Brochure(PDF, 271KB)
- Open Space Commission Ordinance(PDF, 7MB)
The documents on this webpage are being provided as a courtesy and a public service by the County of Kauaʻi. Users should confirm the accuracy with the official copy available at the Office of Boards and Commissions. While the County of Kauaʻi will strive to keep the information accurate and up-to-date, those people needing an official, accurate and up-to-date copy of documents on this webpage should obtain a hard copy from the Office of Boards and Commissions.
Public Access, Open Space & Natural Resources Preservation Fund Commission
c/o County of Kauai Planning Department
4444 Rice Street, Suite A473
Lihue, HI 96766
Phone: (808) 241-4050