Administration - This level of the program provides the support and the personnel to manage and direct the solid Waste Division (SWD). Tasks include maintenance of division records, developing and maintaining systems to gather program data and information, preparation and monitoring of contracts, monitoring design and construction of CIPs, and maintaining operation of a professional solid waste organization. This program is also responsible for:
- Overall administration of solid waste disposal programs
- Planning of new or expansion of solid waste disposal facilities and closure or post closure care for closed facilities.
- Research, planning and design of source reduction, recycling, special waste management, and public education/awareness programs.
- Promoting infrastructure, markets, and end uses for recycled materials.
Landfill Program - The Landfill Program provides for the disposal of residential and Subtitle “D” commercial solid waste at the Kekaha Phase II Landfill. The Landfill is operated utilizing County labor; with environmental monitoring, project management, and quality assurance and control provided by Waste Management Inc.
Greenwaste Diversion Program - The greenwaste Program was created to divert residential and commercial greenwaste from the landfill. The County currently accepts source-separated greenwaste for diversion at all four transfer stations and at the landfill.
Refuse Collections - A typical refuse crew consists of one truck driver and two refuse collectors. Refuse is collected five days a week including holidays starting at 4:30 am and ending on Uku-pau basis, normally about 10:00 am. There are six collection crews servicing the entire island.
Refuse Transfer Stations - RTS operating hours are 7:15 am to 3:15 pm, 7 days a week except for County Holidays. A two-man crew staffs RTSs at Hanalei, Kapaa and Hanapepe; a three-man crew staffs the Lihue RTS. Collection crews deliver refuse to the RTS. Refuse is loaded into high cube (65 to 75 cubic yard capacity) trailers and delivered to the Kekaha Landfill.
Recycling and Waste Management Programs - This level of the program is responsible for implementing:
- Source reduction, reuse and recycling programs
- Special waste management programs including junk vehicle, appliance, tire, lead-acid battery, used oil, and household hazardous waste disposal.
- Public education/awareness program.
- To maintain public health and safety
- Provide reliable and sustainable refuse collection, recycling, transfer, and disposal systems for management of solid waste on Kauai.
- Support the recovery of reusable or recyclable resources from the waste stream.
- Maintain the County Subtitle D landfill in accordance with applicable Federal, State, and County regulations.