The purpose of the Kaua 'i Resident Home-Buyer List Program (Home-Buyer List) is to establish a long term program where Kaua'i residents can be placed on a list to be the first potential buyers of housing units or properties either developed directly by or for the County or privately developed to satisfy a County housing requirement.
Properties for Sale for Home Buyer List Participants
Units now available for sale. Please click the link below for the flyer:
Kamamalu Condominiums and Molo Street House(PDF, 1MB)
Kanakolu Street House(PDF, 1MB)
Home Buyer List Procedures & Policy
- You must be a Kauai resident and a first-time homebuyer.
- Applicant must register for Home Buyer Education classes with a HUD-approved education and counseling agency. Hawai‘i HomeOwnership Center (877-523-9503) OR Hawaiian Community Assets (808-784-3841) Email: firstname.lastname@example.org, work in partnership with Kaua‘i County Housing Agency to provide the required education and support to potential homeowners.
- Upon completion of the home buyer education class, the applicant will receive a CERTIFICATE OF ACHIEVEMENT; a copy needs to be submitted to the Housing Agency.
- Complete the Kaua‘i Resident Affordable Home Buyer Registration Form and submit with a copy of the certificate to Housing Agency, to be on the Affordable Housing Waitlist (AHWL).
- Upon receipt of both forms Homebuyer Registration Form fillable PDF(PDF, 242KB) (and certificate), a letter will be sent to the applicant informing of their perpetual Home Buyer Number.
- Notification of any affordable “for sale” development, single family home or project will be sent to all active participants on the AHWL.
Click Here for the Home Buyer List Policy(PDF, 162KB)
Home Buyer Loan Program
If funding is available the Home Buyer Program provides low-cost loans to first-time homebuyers on the island of Kaua'i who meet the Kaua'i Median Household Income (KMHI) as published by the US Department of Housing & Urban Development (HUD) for the island of Kaua'i.
Who is Eligible to Borrow:
- You are a Citizen of the United States or Resident Alien
- You are 18 years or older
- You are a first-time homebuyer (you, your spouse or your partner cannot own majority interest in a principal residence or real estate for a period of 3 years prior to the closing of a homebuyer loan)
- You must occupy the property purchasing as your primary residence
- Must complete a Homebuyer Education program
- Preference is given to residents of the island of Kaua'i
Click Here for the 2023 Home Buyer Loan Program Brochure(PDF, 718KB)
Ordinance No. 860 (Housing Policy) 2007(PDF, 2MB)
Ordinance No. 1081 Bill No. 2774, Draft 5 Amending Ch.7A COK Code 1987 Housing Policy, Signed October(PDF, 7MB)
2023 Kauai County Income Limits(PDF, 35KB)
2023 Rental Limit By Bedroom Count(PDF, 16KB)
2023 Rental Limits By Family Size(PDF, 20KB)
2023 For Sale Limits by Bedroom Count(PDF, 155KB)
2023 For Sale Limits by Family Size(PDF, 200KB)
2023 For Sale Limits by INCOME - Bedroom Size(PDF, 176KB)